lt is necessary to make a distinction between basic language learning and acquiring the techniques that will allow you to use your language skills.

Basic language learning

Sozo Exchange - the place where professional adults can learn English and exchange knowledge for free! We strongly believe in the importance of sharing education,  resources and ideas across the world, and we hope Sozo Exchange is the ultimate  platform for this

Our courses - including French,  German and Spanish - uniquely teach spatial learning strategies, such as  connection-building and pattern recognition, which build confidence and  vocabulary and grammar skills for beginning and intermediate students. There are worksheets to accompany each unit, which is sent direct to the student's inbox, and we also provide 1-2-1 tutor support with each course. There are also lots of additional language learning resources, including articles with plenty of tips, ideas and advice, and resources that include French and German nursery rhymes (with translations) and illustrated, bilingual excerpts from children's classics such as 'The Little Prince' (French), 'Little Red Riding Hood' (German) and “The Three Little Pigs”™ (Spanish).

Free email English lesson.

Foreign languages for travelers

 Learning material

Free daily English lesson.

Technique acquisition

Ecole supérieure d’interprètes et de traducteurs, ESIT, Paris. Our top choice, a tough school for top students.

Institut supérieur d’interprétation et de traduction, ISIT, Paris. ISIT has improved a lot during the past 10 years, although private, it is not very expensive, and well worth the money you’ll spend.

Ecole de traduction et d’interprétation, ETI, Genève. Excellent reputation.

Monterey Institute of International Studies, MIIS, Monterey, California. Private and expensive (more than $20,000 a year for tuition alone, and the Monterey peninsula is one of the most expensive areas in the nation (especially accommodation: a 3-bedroom house in Monterey costs $600,000 and up!!!)). As a general rule, if your mother tongue (A-language) is English, you should study in the country of your foreign language (B-language), and you will keep improving it during the course of your studies. You certainly won’t improve your German, or French, or Russian while in Monterey half as much as you would overseas.

Also, native speakers of English (with a European language as a B) who want to study conference interpretation must be aware that there is hardly any demand for them on the private market in the US. Interpretation is overwhelmingly from English into a foreign language (like French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, German), and therefore provided by native speakers of the target languages. As regards working as an interpreter in Europe, without an EU passport, or working permit, it would be very tough, besides if you only have one foreign language to offer you won’t go very far (minimum is 3 languages + an A-language at the EU)!

Make sure your interpretation professors do have an interpretation diploma from a top school, not a mere translation diploma, not half a diploma.

Germersheim school, Mainz, Germany (German). A high-quality school in Germany

Other translation schools members of CIUTI

Langues étrangères appliquées, Aix-en-Provence, France

Langues étrangères appliquées, Lille, France